[Icecast] Adding authenticated mountpoints

James McCurrach tech at hawkley.net
Tue Apr 12 10:11:51 UTC 2005

I've got a jukebox type programme streaming out through multiple Ices
(0.4) sources, and an Icecast (2.2) server streaming to the listeners
over the web.

As a new user starts to play tracks on the jukebox, it writes a new
ices.conf file (with the specific mountpoint, bitrate etc for that user)
and spawns an instance of Ices to stream out that user's music.  As it
stands today Icecast knows nothing in advance about these new source
clients, but doesn't need to as I have a standard login and password
for Ices to connect to Icecast.

I'd like to be able to add listener authentication, but the problem I
have is that at the point of configuring and starting Icecast I don't
know what the mountpoints or username/password combinations are going to
be.

I could get my jukebox to modify the icecast.conf file with the details
of each new mountpoint and write the userid/password to the htauth file,
but is it possible to then force Icecast to re-read the config file, and
if so how?

Thanks,

James