[Icecast] how to update stream metadata by source client

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Apr 11 20:47:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 21:24, Akos Maroy wrote:
> Karl Heyes wrote:
> > The handling of metadata is specific to the format, eg MP3 itself has no
> > in-stream metadata support, only the shoutcast-style streams have
> > metadata handling. Vorbis has in-stream metadata support but is handled
> > differently to MP3.
>
> I see. so we have separate solutions for:
>
> - shoutcast (mp3)
> - icecast 1.x (mp3)
> - icecast 2.x
>    - mp3
>    - ogg vorbis

The mp3 handling in icecast is supposed to work in a similar fashion to
shoutcast mp3 as most clients take that already and it provides for
metadata updates.  I haven't checked the details for icecast 1.x

> > The metadata can be updated via an icecast URL at /admin/metadata, which
> > is needed if the source client only sends straight mp3
>
> so it's not that the new metadata would be embedded in the same stream
> as the audio, but one would make separate HTTP requests to the server?

source clients sending mp3 tend to use the url for metadata updates,
relays generally request metadata in-stream if available.

karl