[Icecast] Playlist containing both MP3 and OGG

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Sep 21 13:45:46 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 13:06, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Monday, 20 September 2004 at 18:02, EvilOverlord wrote:
> > Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >I have both MP3 and OGG in my hard drive, since I used to use MP3
> > > encoding and now I'm trying to move to OGG vorbis. I am wondering if
> > > there's a way to stream a playlist containing both MP3 and OGG files.
<snip>

> > AFAIK there isn't a source client that will do both.  If your stream
> > format is in OGG you could use a player to play the playlist and capture
> > from the DSP.  If you want the stream in MP3 you might want to try
> > liveice for the DSP capture.
> >
> > If you mean to stream both MP3 and OGG in the same stream I don't think
> > icecast will do that, nor any clients play it.
>
> Right, the reason there is no source client that will interleave Ogg and
> MP3 in the same stream is that no client could play the result.

Aahh.. OK. Thanks for the explanation. I think that makes sense. I really
don't want to resort to re-encoding, as I want this to be as high-quality as
possible (bandwidth is not the problem here). So I guess I just have to split
my playlist for now, until I got the chance to move everything to OGG.

Thanks for all the replies.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja