[Icecast] Playlist containing both MP3 and OGG

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Mon Sep 20 17:06:32 UTC 2004

On Monday, 20 September 2004 at 18:02, EvilOverlord wrote:
> Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I have both MP3 and OGG in my hard drive, since I used to use MP3 encoding
> >and now I'm trying to move to OGG vorbis. I am wondering if there's a way
> >to stream a playlist containing both MP3 and OGG files. As far as I
> >understand from reading the doc, Ices-0.4 and Ices2 can only stream MP3
> >and OGG files respectively. So I just installed both. But is there a trick
> >or something that would enable me to play a playlist containing two
> >different file format?
> >
> >Thanks for any help.
> >
> >RDB
> >

> AFAIK there isn't a source client that will do both.  If your stream
> format is in OGG you could use a player to play the playlist and capture
> from the DSP.  If you want the stream in MP3 you might want to try
> liveice for the DSP capture.
>
> If you mean to stream both MP3 and OGG in the same stream I don't think
> icecast will do that, nor any clients play it.

Right, the reason there is no source client that will interleave Ogg and MP3
in the same stream is that no client could play the result.

However, ices 0.x can manage a playlist containing a mix of MP3 and
Ogg files by transcoding the Ogg files to MP3 on the fly (as of ices
0.4 it can do the same for FLAC and AAC).