[icecast] Preventin browsers / wget's / ... from capturing stream?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Mar 2 01:23:36 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 23:42, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this has been discussed before - but I don't think that we've
> come to a "clean" solution. So let me try to ask again:
>
> Is there any good way with icecast to prevent browsers / wget's / ...
> from capturing a stream? I mean, using Shoutcast afaik it's not
> *that* easily possible to download a stream. But using Icecast you
> can simply do a wget and grab the audio. This makes mp3-streaming
> with icecast a "risky" thing in my eyes since clients might always
> say "well, then I could as well put my music for download on a
> website". I know there are always ways around it, but avoiding
> downloading for the average user would at least be good. Has anybody
> experimented with this?

Shoutcast just does user-agent sniffing. This makes it look like you can't
download the stream easily, but that's just misleading you - it's completely
trivial to do so.

> The most clean solution in my eyes would be to implement mms:// or
> rtp:// for mp3/ogg-streams in Icecast2 ... however, I guess just
> nobody yet started working on it - or is it really that hard to
> implement?

It's far from trivial to implement. This would be a very large amount of work.

> Anyway - I'm also looking for a good solution (similar to the one of
> Shoutcast, maybe) for plain http-streaming. Is it possible somehow?

Well, you could add nasty user-agent sniffing, but it's pretty pointless.

Mike