[icecast] Preventin browsers / wget's / ... from capturing stream?

Rakotomandimby Mihamina mrakotom at free.fr
Mon Mar 8 13:30:42 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 02:23, Michael Smith wrote:
> Shoutcast just does user-agent sniffing. This makes it look like you can't
> download the stream easily, but that's just misleading you - it's
> completely trivial to do so.

Yes , i'd say the same .

> > The most clean solution in my eyes would be to implement mms:// or
> > rtp:// for mp3/ogg-streams in Icecast2 ... however, I guess just
> > nobody yet started working on it - or is it really that hard to
> > implement?

Though you could implement it , someone will always be able to "rip" your
stream .
I have a friend that runs Windows and he found a software that just record
what is played by the soundcard, so that he just needs to turn off all the
system sounds and can quietly record the stream, whatever is the protocol ...

> It's far from trivial to implement. This would be a very large amount of
> work.

Useless , no worth amount of work ...
:-)

> > Anyway - I'm also looking for a good solution (similar to the one of
> > Shoutcast, maybe) for plain http-streaming. Is it possible somehow?
> Well, you could add nasty user-agent sniffing, but it's pretty pointless.

treamripper can identify itself as any user-agent you want ...

--
Rakotomandimby Mihamina Andrianifaharana
Tel : +33 2 38 76 43 65