[Icecast] Icecast on steroids

Karl Heyes karl
Thu Jul 22 07:29:02 UTC 2004

<00fb01c46f73$406b9110$85e70818 at copperhead>

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 23:36, Dave St John wrote:
> Check out this yp dir http://www.radiotoolbox.com/mediatoolbox/
> click on the ogg streams and see how fast they buffer up compared to the
> icecast2 mp3 streams, we are using karls build of the icecast2 server,
> what has changed to dramaticly improve this?. It flat out Smokes mp3 now,
> not just in quality but buffer time.

The fast pre-buffering was a frequently requested feature, especially
with low bitrate streams showing the startup lag more.  I've filtered
the queueing/burst mechanism in the kh tree into

SVN  svn.xiph.org/icecast/branches/icecast-singleq

Both MP3 and Ogg streams should react in a similar way at connection
time, but I've made it burst 64k (by default) as it is not too much to
be a problem but enough to handle most current players.  This can be
overridden in <limits> and/or <mount> with <burst-size> in bytes

Any feedback welcome.

karl.