[Icecast] Icecast on steroids

oddsock oddsock
Wed Jul 21 19:04:40 UTC 2004

<00fb01c46f73$406b9110$85e70818 at copperhead>
<200407221123.50496.msmith at xiph.org>

At 08:23 PM 7/21/2004, you wrote:
>On Thursday 22 July 2004 08:36, Dave St John wrote:
> > Check out this yp dir http://www.radiotoolbox.com/mediatoolbox/
> > click on the ogg streams and see how fast they buffer up compared to the
> > icecast2 mp3 streams, we are using karls build of the icecast2 server,
> > what has changed to dramaticly improve this?. It flat out Smokes mp3 now,
> > not just in quality but buffer time.
> >

>Icecast has optional fast-start code (not in 2.0, though) that does this. It
>has some intrinsic downsides (higher latency, mostly), so it's not on by
>default.
>
>Mike

actually, it was agreed to enable this by default...

"Burst with a reasonable buffer size should be enabled by default.
The people doing latency sensitive broadcasting are far, far fewer than
those who would benefit from this change.

jack.
"

oddsock