[Icecast] (no subject)

Matt Farmer matt.farmer
Fri Jul 9 09:44:26 UTC 2004

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your responce.  I was planning on doing both, the encoding
and serving, form the same machine, and I'm not sure I see any
stability gains by splitting it up.  Understand having, for example, a
file server and mail server on different machines, so if one goes down
you can still use the other.  But in this case, one service depends on
the other (the server has nothing to serv with out the encoder, and
the encoder has nothing to send it to with out the server), so I think
having these on two different machines would actually lower
reliablity.  Am I overlooking something?

Also, I do realize we wil need an encoder (possibly two), but we
haven't looked into which ones we should use.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Matt