[Icecast] (no subject)

adam adam
Fri Jul 9 09:54:02 UTC 2004

> the encoder has nothing to send it to with out the server), so I think
> having these on two different machines would actually lower
> reliablity.  Am I overlooking something?

If you know the risks its a fair strategy :) One issue arises however with
archiving. I like to archive on an independent medium if possible (eg
video tape/dat/minidisc - whatever is available) as well as on the
encoding machine. This way if there is a time out on the Icecast server or
I cant reach it because of local congestion (all depends on the
environment you are encoding in of course) then I can continue to archive
on the encoding machine, and if the encoding machine times out I have a
secondary archive in the other format...make sense?

> Also, I do realize we wil need an encoder (possibly two), but we
> haven't looked into which ones we should use.  Any suggestions?

I am guessing you will be using *nix? In which case there are a lot of
encoders but I am personally a fan of MuSE:
http://muse.dyne.org

Else under Windows I like the Oddcast Plugin (http://www.oddsock.org) in
combination with Winamp.

adam