[Icecast] (no subject)

adam adam
Fri Jul 9 09:22:37 UTC 2004

Matt, I guess you are aware you will need :
1. an encoder (eg. MuSE, ICES, DARKICE etc)
2. a streaming server (eg. Icecast2)

These can run on the same machine but its generally not a good idea
(although others may disagree with this but I woudl rather not have a
crticial system where a single point of failure could bring the whole
thing to a stop).

The machine you mention (the PIII) should be sufficient to do multiple
encodings from a single source, although the only way to be sure is to
test it.

Will you use this same machine as the server too, or will you stream to a
Icecast2 server located somewhere else?

Kind regards

adam

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Matt Farmer
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the current webmaster at WUML (www.wuml.org) a college radio
> station.  We are looking to purchase a new web cast server which we
> are planning will run IceCast, but it is a little unclear on the
> system requirements that IceCast requires.
>
> I read somewhere that IceCast can run on as little as a 486 with 32mb
> of ram but that sounded like those specs were for streaming mp3s saved
> on that computer.  We are looking to stream our live broadcast to
> about 100 users simultaneously hopefully in multiple formats (low and
> high quality mp3 and ogg).  I would imagine this would require the
> computer to encode these streams in real time simultaneously and was
> wondering how much of a computer would be required to do this.
>
> We might be able to get a dual PIII 550Mhz machine with 512 ECC SDRam
> donated, or we are looking at purchasing a dual Xeon 2.4Ghz machine
> with 1Gb of ram.  Would be able to get away with the machine that we
> can get donated, or should we invest in some beefier hardware, and if
> so, would this machine be enough?
>
> Thank a bunch!
> -Matt

Adam Hyde