[icecast] Newbie Icecast question

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Jan 30 14:40:03 UTC 2004

At 09:43 PM 1/27/2004, you wrote:
and am able to use WinAmp and Oddcast on a Win2000 PC to source audio to
the Icecast2 server. This has helped me understand how to stream a live
feed to Icecast2, which is incredibly easy and useful.
My question is regarding pre-recorded audio files. If I have a series of
archived live performances (let's say they were archived to MP3 files),
how do I allow listeners to start these recordings on the fly, say from a
web page? I'm getting the impression that IceS may be able to do this for
me if the files are on my RedHat server, but do I have to launch a new
IceS source for each request?
icecast streams static content the same way apache does, just dump your
mp3 files into the icecast webroot directory and create playlists
pointing to them...<br>
for instance, if your webroot was /home/me/icecast/webroot, and you
placed a file "track.mp3" in that directory, then you simply
need to create a file called track.m3u and place
"http://server:port/track.mp3"
in it, and then to stream that file, just access
http://server:port/track.m3u
from any supported listening client.<br>
oddsock<br>