[icecast] Newbie Icecast question

Ethan Kiczek ekiczek at wcfia.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 28 03:43:34 UTC 2004

I've installed Icecast2 on RedHat 9 and am able to use WinAmp and
Oddcast on a Win2000 PC to source audio to the Icecast2 server. This has
helped me understand how to stream a live feed to Icecast2, which is
incredibly easy and useful.

My question is regarding pre-recorded audio files. If I have a series of
archived live performances (let's say they were archived to MP3 files),
how do I allow listeners to start these recordings on the fly, say from
a web page? I'm getting the impression that IceS may be able to do this
for me if the files are on my RedHat server, but do I have to launch a
new IceS source for each request?

Thanks in advance,

Ethan