[icecast] bandwidth negotiation

MacSym macsym69 at yahoo.fr
Wed Jan 21 10:27:58 UTC 2004

I think Kevin is talking about SURESTREAM. This technology detects the
user's bandwidth and adapts the stream's bitrate in consequence. Am I right
Kevin? I don't think it's available on Icecast. Surestream with Real is only
available with a complete Real configuration: Helix encoder, Helix server,
Real player and Real stream format. In Icecast case, more than one encoder
and player are available. Also, I don't know how it works exactly but I
think it's only available with a "pull" streaming configuration, which is
not available with Icecast compatible encoders (I might be wrong).

Another great feature of Helix, not available on Icecast, is "multicast"
streaming, but there is not a huge interest now, because only few providers
are equipped with multicast routers for the moment.

Anyway, I think the sound's quality is better on Icecast, and last but not
least, Icecast is FREE and OPEN SOURCE!

Cheers,

MAX