[icecast] bandwidth negotiation

Kevin DeGraaf kevin at kevindegraaf.net
Wed Jan 21 00:36:54 UTC 2004

> I'm not sure what this bandwidth negotiation is, is it the same as
> limiting the number of listeners?

Apologies, I should not have assumed that everyone knew what the term
meant.

This phrase, as used by RealNetworks, refers to the ability of their
server to determine the usable bandwidth between itself and a client and
to then select from a number of different bitrates (of the same audio
signal) automatically, optimizing the delivery quality while saving the
user the hassle of having to choose from a number of streams at different
bitrates.

No big deal -- I was asked if this could be done, and it's not a critical
issue at all, just a curiosity.

--
Kevin DeGraaf