[icecast] bandwidth negotiation

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Jan 21 00:33:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:30:56PM -0500, Kevin DeGraaf wrote:

> Does Icecast support bandwidth negotiation like Real's server?  If so, how
> would one configure this (can't find it in the docs or list archives).

No.

> If not, is there any interest in adding this capability?

Well, it makes more sense with rtp, maybe. I understand real does this by auto-switching between
several pre-encoded streams of the same content at different bitrates. I can imagine hacking
that in with vorbis, but the hard part with http streaming figuring out when you need to throttle.

The player knows of course, so maybe it could handle switching between alternatives?

 -r