[icecast] icecast hangs at start

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Jan 14 22:14:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 21:59, jensen galan wrote:
> greetings!
>
> when i try to start icecast, i get the following:
>
> Changed groupid to 501.
> Changed userid to 501.
>
> and then it just hangs there...
> i ctrl-z and then attempt to start icecast again, and
> i get the following:
>
> Could not create listener socket on port 8000
> Server startup failed.  Exiting
>
> netstat -anp | grep :8000 shows the following:
>
> tcp   0  0 192.168.1.99:8000   0.0.0.0:*   LISTEN
> 4244/
>
> so, it looks like "something" is starting.

the ctrl-Z only stops the job, it does not terminate it. The initial
icecast process will still own port 8000. starting a second will fail.

> so, i guess my question is what is icecast attempting
> to do after the id's are changed?  can anybody list
> what is seen on there screen when icecast is started?
> (this is on red hat 9)

It's waiting. It's a server, it's meant to wait. It takes requests from
connecting clients and handles them.  Sending a STOP signal (crtl-Z)
will limit it's ability to function though.

As for anything on screen, there shouldn't be really. Log messages to
file as it looks like you are and start sending streams to icecast so
that listeners can listen to something.

karl.