[icecast] MB soundcards and PCI soundcards

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Feb 10 09:53:50 UTC 2004

this is almost certainly a driver or device mapping issue. the
answer depends on whether you use alsa or oss.

if you're using oss: use alsa :)
if you're using alsa: are both cards correctly installed? what does
aplay -l say? what does lsmod | grep snd say?
have you specified the correct device to use? depending on your
installation, the onboard sound chip might be set to be the default
device.

btw, for all questions related to linux audio, may i invite you to
the linux-audio-user list at
http://linuxaudiodev.org/subscribelau.php3 ?
many people there use multiple soundcards (i've been doing so
without problems for years), and will be able to help you with
distro-specific stuff (i don't run rh, so i can't help you there.)
since this is a cross-platform list, os-specific driver issues won't
be of much use to many readers anyway...

regards,

jörn

btw, many thanks for your excellent howto. it helped me a great deal
with a webcast of the linux audio developers' conference last year
(http://linuxaudiodev.org/eventszkm2003.php3). kudos!

Kerry Cox wrote:
> Here's a problem that I have uncovered on two entriely separate machines
> using the latest icecast2 and ices2 software. Even when the onboard
> soundcard is disabled, the PCI soundcard (which has been both a Creative
> Live! and an Ensoniq soundcard) is unable to accept input or stdin
> audio.
> If I enable the onboard soundcard everything works well and I can stream
> audio using icecast and ices. But using the PCI soundcard with the
> onboard card disabled, no input is detected.
> I have tested this so far on only RH9 with the latest updates.
> Has anyone else come across this, and if so, how did they fix this? Not
> a big issue, but I would like to use the nicer soundcards rather than
> the built-in cards.
> Thanks.
> KJ
>

> --- >8 ----

The handles of a craftsman's tools bespeak an absolute simplicity,
the plainest forms affording the greatest range of possibilities for
the user's hand.
That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates
outcome; the anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the
absence of grace.
         - William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)