[icecast] MB soundcards and PCI soundcards

Adam D. Ligas adam at physco.com
Tue Feb 10 04:35:16 UTC 2004

Kerry,

I have two soundcards in my system, using RH 7.3, and I had a hell of a time
getting the second one to work.  I think it was because I added the second one
after I installed the machine.  I'm not sure anything I am about to say will
help your case, but what the hell :).

My first problem was that I had /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, but both pointed to
the same sound card.  Apparantly, this is because I am using a SB Live, and it
uses two dsps.  So although I thought I saw two cards, I really only had one
usable.

Once I made sure the module was loaded and running properly, I had to create
two new /dev entries for the card to use - dsp2 and dsp3.  I did that with the
following two lines:

mknod /dev/dsp2 c 14 35
mknod /dev/dsp3 c 14 51

After I did that, pointing my streamer (in my case DarkIce) at /dev/dsp2 got
me access to the second card.

I also had to use aumix on /dev/mixer1 to set the levels on that second card.
It defaulted the input to mute on me, so I wasn't getting anything at first.
Unmuting it and boosting the level got me in business.

Maybe your RH install took the onboard sound and mapped it to the dsp and dsp1
entries.  Maybe it preserves that mapping even though the card is "disabled"
and is treating the new soundboard like a "second" card?

- Adam