[Icecast] Aliassing Icecast 2.1 Admin console

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Dec 28 21:40:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 19:46, Henk van de Ridder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are searching for a possibility of "aliassing without wasting bandwidth".
> It is described in the following section which we found at
> http://open4all.info/ossa/_Icecast_Streaming_Server.
>
> # What happens is that when a listeners connects to your server and
> # requests the /laika stream, then your icecast server will connect
> # as a client to my machine, and then feed my stream to the listener.
> # All subsequent requests for /laika will use the same feed (i.e only
> # one connect will be made to my machine). Icecast will automagically
> # shut the link from my machine down when no one is listening. I.e
> # no bandwidth will be wasted.

This has been known as the on-demand relay, it has been used very
successfully in the kh branch for some time now, and will probably be
merged into the next release.

> First quesiton: It seems icecast2.1 does not have a admin-console. Is it
> still there ? How can I reach it ?

The web interface is the way to interact with a running icecast. If
there is something specifically missing then by all means raise a query.

> Second question: Is there a way of setting the relay- or alias-configuration
> is the way we want to have to limited the 'waste' of download amount.

At the current time, you'll have to use the kh branch for such a feature
(mediacast1.com/~karl).

Note that the term alias in icecast2 refers to something else.

karl.