[Icecast] startup problem: how to start ices under regular user account

Alex postfix at webgate.ro
Tue Dec 28 21:13:16 UTC 2004

Hello ices experts,

I am running icecast2 and ices2 which are working fine for me. What i
can't find in docs is how to startup ices tu run under certain user
account, not as root.

I tried to setuid /usr/bin/ices and change owner without luck... ices
can't be started!

Also, i tried as root, to see if next command will work:

su -l alex -s /bin/bash -c "/usr/bin/ices /etc/ices-live.xm &"

or i added the above line in my startup scripts...but no ices process is
running!

I need this feature for my startup script, because i don't want to allow
ices to be started as root!

Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,
Alex