[Icecast] Still the big Icecast problem!

Ian Andrew Bell hello at ianbell.com
Tue Dec 28 18:47:52 UTC 2004

If propagation of Ogg Vorbis is the (or a)  goal of Icecast then
probably the best strategy is to build an embedded Ogg Flash Player of
some sort, so that people unwittingly become Ogg users without lifting
a finger, and broadcasters can start using it without fear that they'll
lose listeners due to their protocol choice.  I've been streaming for
more than 7 years now with Quicktime, Shoutcast, and most recently
Icecast and it's been interesting to see how the technologies in the
space have vied for dominance, ultimately ceding to MP3.

In 2000, Shoutcasting was difficult because nobody had MP3 players
installed and it was a pain to download.  Microsoft changed this by
including Windows Media Player and suddenly there was an embedded base
of MP3 listeners out there looking for something to tune into.  Cue the
demise of proprietary streaming protocols like RealPlayer (which
previously was the norm) and Quicktime streaming (which still required
users to get Quicktime, though it was pretty easy).  These two had
previously been prominent because RealAudio had been prolific in
embedding their player with browser downloads and OS installs, and
because Apple/Quicktime had come up with millions of different reasons
why you needed to install their plugin and so a large base had been
grown over half a decade.  MP3 streaming broke out and away from the
pack because A) it was free, B) MP3 as a standard was getting huge
attention thanks to file sharing, and C) it was well supported by
NullSoft from encoder to server to player.

Sure there are lots of Ogg players out there for you and me to install,
but without some kind of stealth strategy Ogg is stuck with a
chicken-and-egg problem.  Can't get the streamers if there are no
listeners, can't get the listeners if there are no streamers.  The
difference between now and 2000, when MP3 broke thru this wall, is that
there are a lot more choices out there and streaming over IP is no
longer quite as new and cool.  Being cooler, being technically better,
is not enough.  Being free and open-source in itself doesn't cut it in
the mass market.  MP3, these days, is "free enough" and easily
available for use by the unwashed masses.

So... what would make me as a professional broadcaster seriously
consider Ogg?  Two things:

ONE:

We use an embedded player at Pulverradio.com that's done in Flash.  For
our part we just modified an off-the-shelf player for our station and
the result is we receive very little email from folks having trouble
connecting.  So ostensibly we could choose any protocol we liked, so
long as there was a Flash Library to support it, since the listeners
don't NEED to know the difference.

TWO:

I need to encode Ogg professionally.  We use hardware encoders from
TELOS. I picked these because it was the most rock-solid solution that
had AES inputs, and our production studios are all-digital.
(http://www.audioactive.com/products/webcasting.html)  These use
licensed Fraunhofer encoders and also have some nice de-essing and
grunge reduction features that I am a fan of.  Convince guys like this
to use Ogg, or develop a similar device which does both Ogg and MP3,
and you've got a winner.

Like any effective salesman, when facing chicken-and-egg problems dead
on (which I've had to do a number of times in my career) it's important
to grease the skids so that there are no reasons for the listener, the
producer, or the broadcaster to say No.  In the case of Ogg Vorbis it's
simply not good enough to push the tools out there and wait for people
to use them.

In any case I share your pain because I'm frustrated with MP3 streaming
and would like to see Ogg Vorbis more widely used.

-Ian.