[Icecast] Low-bitrate audio encode/stream application

david feldman wb0gaz at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 25 17:22:17 UTC 2004

Hello Thomas,

You are correct - the application is basically for secure remote access to
ham CW (morse code) station. I believe the solution will be based on low bit
rate MP3 streaming for receiver side (MP3 allows use with existing CODEC in
client side, which could include Win CE or Linux palmtop type form factor,
and the audio source would just be "voice grade" material on a mono, not
stereo, connection). I am investigating options to build small
morse-to-IRDA/Serial encoder that would accept key/paddle input, encode and
timestamp into serial message format, and be transmitted back to server
using the client machine's serial/IRDA port and then through telnet or
similar text-oriented session to the server. This seems to hold promise in
that it would require very little or no client side software development
(I'm hoping to do this with a HP Jornada 720 windows CE client, which is
about 5 years old, out of production, so other CODEC development seems very
unlikely.)

Do you know if any books have been published that address icecast? It
appears from reading traffic on this reflector that a single (mono) 22000
bps encoding rate carried over a 32000 bps is feasible, and while this would
be a bit much for dial-up serial access, it would be adequate for any
broadband client connection.

73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz at hotmail.com