[Icecast] Low-bitrate audio encode/stream application

"Thomas B. Rücker" dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Dec 23 22:59:31 UTC 2004

Hi David,

trying to put pieces together...
judging by your email-adress you must be an radio amateur.
lets try an "educated guess" ;)

hope you're not going to try running digimodes through that... ;)

Short wave audio should be fine. I use darkice myself for exactly that
purpose: remote RX at dl0td while travelling around europe.

One thing you should remember is: there is a considerable delay you wont
be able to reduce below a minimum (depending on network and client
software). This makes tuning bit harder on ssb.

Oh before i forget: there is a mediaplayer capable of streaming mp3 and
ogg/vorbis for WinCE (HPC/PPC). I've been using it for quite some time
before i switched towards embedded linux. It is a bit tricky to get it
running (you have to prepare a special playlist file containing the
stream adress in a weird char encoding)
Hopefully this is fixed by now. would make it more useable. ;)
you should be able to find it either at corecodec.com or while looking
for pocket-divx (its an descendant of the abandoned pocket-divx
sourcecode).

bitrates can be pushed quite low while using ogg/vorbis. quality -1 at
22kHz mono should already give you around 20kbit or so with drops to
nearly zero when there is very low noise-level and no signal. A downside
could be increased time-shift due to buffers filling up slowly.

vy 73 es merry x-mas es happy nw yr de Thomas, dm8tbr