[Icecast] Using stdin with ezstream

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Wed Dec 22 06:00:33 UTC 2004

Jerret Kinsman wrote:

> I'm assuming that playing a file on Windows Media player/other clients
> play to stdin.

Not usually, anyway.  If you play something using WMP or any other player,
it'll play to the soundcard.  Don't get standard input/output mixed up with
soundcard input/output, they're two entirely different beasts and need not
at all be related.

If you want to be able to stream whatever your soundcard plays, eztream is
probably not the tool for you.  The simplest thing I can think of is to use
streamtranscoder from oddsock.org in its linein mode.  Or you could use
oddcast DSP and a line recorder with your favourite player.  Then all you'd
need to do is configure your soundcard to record whatever it plays, and
exactly how you do that will be dependent on your soundcard and what they
call stuff.  But Windows volume Control is the place to sort this stuff
out.

If you did actually mean Standard Input, then unless you've got something
to process said files, there's probably not a lot to be gained by using
standard input.  Maybe tell us what you're trying to do and we can take it
from there.

Geoff.