[Icecast] Streaming 2 different sources with darkice

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 14 17:37:26 UTC 2004

I'm looking for ideas here.  This probably will wind up being more of an
alsa problem, but I thought the people on this list might have been in
similar circumstances and have ideas for me.

I work at a radio station with both a webcast and FM broadcast.  We want
to use icecast both for our webcast and as a backup studio to
transmitter link.  However, the webcast audio needs to be
post-processed, but the STL needs to be pre-processed because the
processing gets done at the transmitter.  Our solution to this was to
get an in-studio AGC to use just for the webcast.  So now we've got two
different audio streams we need to send to icecast.  We've got an
M-Audio Delta 66 with the post-processed audio on lines 1 and 2, and the
pre-processed audio on lines 3 and 4.  I found a .asoundrc that lets me
use the aliases channel1 and channel2 to address the different inputs,
and these work fine in darkice.  However, they don't work at the same
time.  I was running separate instances of darkice, and the second one
will start, but apparently it can't open the audio device since it's
locked by the first darkice process, even though it's on a different set
of inputs.  Is there a good way around this, or does someone have a
better solution to our broad issue of using icecast as a backup STL?

Thanks,
Joel Ebel