[Icecast] Icecast 2.2.0 RC1 Announcement

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Dec 14 20:21:01 UTC 2004

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are prepping for a 2.2.0
release of icecast.  Just as before, we are doing Release candidates
first, and if no bugs are reported, these will become the official
release.  We ask that anyone that can, please test the RC and send any
issues or bug-reports to  the mailing list or http://trac.xiph.org/

until the mirrors get updated, please download the release using the
following links :

source distribution:
http://svn.xiph.org/releases/icecast/icecast-2.2.0RC1.tar.gz

win32 binary:
http://svn.xiph.org/releases/icecast/icecast2_win32_2.2.0RC1_setup.exe

eventually, these will be able to be downloaded here:
http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/icecast/

Additionally, to enable theora streaming in icecast, you will need the
most current theora release.  I have created a snapshot you can download
until theora creates an official release.  The snapshot can be
downloaded here :
http://www.oddsock.org/xiph_snapshots/libtheora-unreleased.tar.gz

This is  an optional dependency on icecast, and if you do not have it
installed,  then icecast will build properly, but you will not get
theora support.

Here is a synposis of the changes in 2.2.0

- Theora Video support -

Icecast now supports video streaming via theora.  Currently, we require
the latest (alpha 4) version of libtheora.  This is an optional compile,
so if you don't have theora then icecast will safely ignore it

- Shoutcast style source client support -

Icecast now supports the connection protocol used by the Shoutcast DSP
source client.  This is the same connection protocol used by their NSV
encoding tools. This means that not only can you use the Shoutcast DSP
to stream to icecast, but that you can also stream NSV via their tools.

- AAC is added as a supported streaming format -

Not too many source clients support streaming in this format, but we
support it.

- Cluster password -

Now you can specify a cluster password as a <mount> option in the
config. This will allow you to cluster multiple servers/mounts into a
single listing on the stream directory.  Note that this is different
than "grouping" which groups together streams coming from the same
physical IP and with the same stream name.  Clusters are meant for
relays of the same stream and will only be listed *once* in the stream
directory.  When a listener tunes into a cluster, they will be served an
m3u file with all the clusters for that stream.

- Playlist Log -

This is an option setting that will create an audit trail of metadata
that comes through icecast.  It is a single file that contains
information for all mountpoints.

- Range Support for static files -

We now support seeking in files served off the icecast fserve.

- Metadata Update via Admin -

We now support metadata updates via the admin interface for both MP3 AND
Ogg Vorbis streams.

- Per mount hidden stats and YP prevention -

You many now indicate certains mounts to be excluded (i.e. hidden) from
the main status.xsl page.  This is useful when using local private
relays.  You can also override the YP setting (as in disable) on a
per-mount basis.  Also useful for local private relays.

- Multiple example config files -

We now have multiple config files for you to use as a base.  A "simple"
one for quick-start, and a more detailed "advanced" one with all the
features, as well as a "shoutcast compatable" one, which shows how you'd
config for using the shoutcast DSP.

- Relay user/pass -

You can now specify authentication used by a relay.  This is for the
case where you have listener authentication enabled for a mountpoint,
and want to connect a relay to it.

oddsock