[Icecast] Relaying question

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Dec 7 20:03:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 19:53, Alec VanderWoude wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm fairly new to icecast2, so forgive me if there is an obvious answer
> to this question.
> I am using a master server and a relay server. What I would like to to
> do is have the master
> server send a live stream encoded as 128 bit mp3 to the relay server,
> and then have the relay
> server broadcast that stream as well as a 64 nit mp3 stream. Is this
> possible? Can Ices, Darkice,
> or something else take in a live stream from a master server and then
> do the resampling or is
> my only option having the master serever do the two different bitrate
> streams and have the relay
> server broadcast those two different mount? Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

you'll have to re-encode at some point, whether that is at the master
end or slave end is up to you.  You should be able to use something like
curl/wget to grab the stream from icecast and feed it into a source
client like ices for reencoding which then sends the stream back to
icecast under a different mountpoint.

karl.