[icecast] Low frequency feedback?

Devin Campbell devin at moonglade.com
Thu May 29 12:47:13 UTC 2003

Hey Geoff, thanks for the reply.

I had a chance to listen to it for quite a while yesterday and I realized
that it's not a constant problem.  It starts out really soft, so soft that
you wouldn't even notice it if you didn't know what to listen for.  I have
two types of songs playing at the moment, loud music (rock/punk) and very
soft music (middle eastern style).  It seems to always start during one of
the loud songs.  The tone (always the same frequency) slowly starts to
build.  By the end of the song it's very noticeable.  It keeps increasing
until the music is almost inaudible.

I was unable to observe when it stops producing this tone, unfortunately.

I really couldn't understand how this would happen with my setup either.
That's why it bothers me so much, I don't know of anything I can do to
correct a problem like that.

Actually, it's happening right now as I listen to the stream.  The last song
was fine.  This song is loud enough that I can't hear the tone, but I can
hear the volume of the music dropping.... After about 20 seconds the music
is about half the volume and the tone is clearly audible.  Now a quiet song
plays and the tone is still present, this song is so quiet to start with
that I can now barely hear the music.

I was able to capture the problem in an MP3 file.  There's a really high
frequency tone in the sample, but that wasn't in the original stream it came
from Cakewalk.  The problem I'm talking about is the lower hum that sounds
like a vacuum cleaner running.

http://www.starbeamllc.com/images/feedback.mp3

Thanks for taking the time!
Devin