[icecast] Ices2 / Icecast2 / Long connect and no sound

adam leigh aleigh at fdmedia.com
Wed May 28 18:32:26 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 21:06, adam leigh wrote:
> > Unfortunately, ices2 isn't writing anything to the logs.  I've got them on
> > debug mode, but there still isn't anything being written to indicate it's
> > having a known problem.
>
> well thats a problem, you should at least see
> ices started
> if not then try to resolve that first.  Email the config file to me and
> I'll have a quick look.

Here's a copy of the config file.  I've checked the specified directory many
times but there's never any updates to it.  I can't imagine what might be
wrong.

---- Quoted File: ices-live1.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ices>

        <background>0</background> <!-- run in background? (unimplemented) -->
        <logpath>/usr/local/programs/ices/logs</logpath> <!-- where logs, etc go. -->
        <logfile>ices-live-1.log</logfile>
        <loglevel>4</loglevel> <!-- 1=error,2=warn,3=info,4=debug -->
    <consolelog>1</consolelog> <!-- logfile is ignored if this is set to 1 -->

        <stream>
                <!-- metadata used for stream listing (not currently used) -->
                <metadata>
                        <name>Example stream name</name>
                        <genre>Example genre</genre>
                        <description>A short description of your stream</description>
                </metadata>

                <!-- input module
                         This example uses the 'oss' module. It takes input from the
                         oss audio device (i.e. line-in), and processes it for live
                         encoding.
                -->
                <input>
                        <module>oss</module>
                        <param name="rate">44100</param> <!-- samplerate -->
                        <param name="channels">2</param> <!-- number of channels -->
                        <param name="device">/dev/dsp1</param> <!-- audio device: add-in card
(c-media, device 1) -->
                        <param name="metadata">1</param> <!-- Read metadata (from stdin by default,
or filename defined below (if the latter, only on SIGUSR1) -->
                        <param name="metadatafilename">test</param>
                </input>

                <!-- Stream instance
                         You may have one or more instances here. This allows you to
                         send the same input data to one or more servers (or to different
                         mountpoints on the same server). Each of them can have different
                         parameters. This is primarily useful for a) relaying to multiple
                         independent servers, and b) encoding/reencoding to multiple
                         bitrates.
                         If one instance fails (for example, the associated server goes
                         down, etc), the others will continue to function correctly.
                         This example defines a single instance doing live encoding at
                         low bitrate.
                -->
                <instance>
                        <!-- Server details:
                                 You define hostname and port for the server here, along with
                                 the source password and mountpoint.
                        -->
                        <hostname>localhost</hostname>
                        <port>8000</port>
                        <password>hackme</password>
                        <mount>/1</mount>

                        <!-- Live encoding/reencoding:
                                 channels and samplerate currently MUST match the channels
                                 and samplerate given in the parameters to the oss input
                                 module above.

                        -->
                        <encode>
                                <quality>0</quality>
                                <samplerate>44100</samplerate>
                                <channels>2</channels>
                        </encode>

            <!-- stereo->mono downmixing, enabled by setting this to 1 -->
            <downmix>1</downmix>

            <!-- resampling. Set to the frequency (in Hz) you wish to resample
                 to, or 0 to disable -->

            <resample>
                <in-rate>44100</in-rate>
                <out-rate>22050</out-rate>