[icecast] how to specify remote dump file from the source?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Mar 23 02:05:17 UTC 2003

On Sunday 23 March 2003 04:03, Akos Maroy wrote:
> Michael Smith wrote:
> > No. Security issues aside (and those would require significant thought),
> > this seems like something of fairly limited usefulness.
>
> But: it works this way in icecast 1.x
> also, this feature is very useful?
> and what are the security considerations? icecast must be run as a
> properly limited user, and all is secure.

Allowing remote sources to write files on the server is clearly something that
needs significant though put into it as to security. Checking that the
filename selected should be allowed would not be trivial, it's a lot of work
for a dubious feature.

> as for usefulness: this is very useful indeed. the live radio stream I
> do is done in 4 hour sessions, with each session saved under a different
> file-name for archiving. how would I achieve the same effect without the
> streaming encoder client telling icecast the name of the archive to save?

By telling icecast what filename you want the stream dumped to. This is, I
would think, fairly obvious.

Mike