[icecast] OT: whats your opinion of ODDSOCK streamTranscoder?

Brandon bcasci at runbox.com
Thu Mar 13 04:48:14 UTC 2003

This is all happening on a box with:

Win 2k SP3
512K RAM
1.2 GHZ Celeron

The PC has noother  load...all its doing is downsampling an MP3 stream to
lower bitrates.

I'm using the LAME_ENC.DLL with streamTranscoder. There is no version number
tagged on the lame_enc.dll, but the file is dates July 2002.

When I refer to  "skipped and popped and dropped" I am referring to your
listening experience. Maybe skipped is a bad description. Your chosen mp3
player will experience a frequent buffer underruns. So when you listening
after 30 minutes or so, the music will stop, your player rebuffers for a
send or two, then the music starts again. This will repeat 2 - 3 times an
hour. And each time a track changes you miss the first 1/2 second or so. In
between those buffer underruns its not uncommon to hear some "clicks" in the
music..who knows why. Its almost as if streamTranscoder isn't sending out
the bytes quite fast enough. You knwo what its almost sounds like? When you
play a MP3's on a weak PC...thats what the stream sounds liek when you tune
in.

This doesn't happen when I use SHOUTcast DSP. I've switch back and forth
between the two tools and listen hour after hour and compared.

I kept track of the CPU utlilization. shoutCAST DSP keeps a around a stead
50% CPU utilization with 3 output streams. streamTranscaster cycles from
almost 0% up to 100%  evbery few seconds.

So, since I'm the only one haiving these problems, its got to be my
computer. Anything jump out at you?

I'll just keep messing around with it...I haven't given up yet. I really
want to use streamTranscoder. It irritates me that I have to leave winamp
running just to transcode a stream.