[icecast] OT: whats your opinion of ODDSOCK streamTranscoder?

Brandon bcasci at runbox.com
Thu Mar 13 06:02:58 UTC 2003

OK guys. Thanks so for taking the time to talk to me even though this was
off topic.

And Oddsock, especially thanks for insisting that no one had this problem.
It got me thinking......your transcoder is at the mercy of several external
components..one of them being lame_enc.dll

So..I went and found several versions of the lame_enc.dll, and experimented.
I'm not sure how I should compile lame on windows so I just found several
applications that ship with the binary version of lame_enc.dll

I found the one that comes with the latest Zlurp! to work the best. It is
dates Dec 29 2001. And guess what...it doesn;t hog the CPU....it floats
between 30% and 50% with some spikes up to 80%. That must have been the
source of my problem before..the CPU was pegged out at 100% for too long and
other processes suffered for it. And guess what else? The stream sounds soo
much cleaner too..and I haven't heard a the first bit of a track get cut off
either!

I've only been playing with it for an hour so it may be too soon to
tell..but I don't think so..its like night and day.

Oddsock, how come you don't include the most compatable  lame_enc.dll  with
the windows streamTranscoder  binary?