[icecast] Oddcast suggestion

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Sat Jun 21 04:52:02 UTC 2003

Geoff Shang wrote:

> ummm.  But you need a stream for people to tune into.  I don't think
that's
> going to work.

In OddCast, I can click "Connect" without actually playing anything.  This
appears to put the station in the yp dir even though there is no stream data
connection (I may be wrong).  Can not IceCast2 detect that a connection is
wanted and then inform the client?  Sounds like a great bandwidth saver for
the Internet as a whole.  Hosting companies would appreciate less bandwidth
requirements.

> However, you could perhaps use relaying.  I've not messed with relaying
> with icecast 2.x, but icecast 1.x could be set up so that if the server
> pulled a relay, it would only connect to the originating stream when there
> was someone tuned in to listen to it. If icecast 2.x does this too, then
> you could run a local icecast server and get your main server to pull from
> you.

Sounds good for me, but perhaps ties up a few more PC's when dealing with
hundreds of streams.  Anyone know if this works in IceCast2?  Dave, does
your system support relays?

Regards,
Ross.