[icecast] Oddcast suggestion

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jun 21 02:54:39 UTC 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Ross Levis wrote:

> What would be really useful is if your winamp plugin could monitor the
> number of listeners on the IceCast2 server and only send the audio when
> listeners > 0.  Perhaps the metadata could continue to be sent.  This would
> reduce bandwidth requirements substantially when there are several hundred,
> perhaps thousands of streams as planned by http://www.rville.com.

ummm.  But you need a stream for people to tune into.  I don't think that's
going to work.

However, you could perhaps use relaying.  I've not messed with relaying
with icecast 2.x, but icecast 1.x could be set up so that if the server
pulled a relay, it would only connect to the originating stream when there
was someone tuned in to listen to it. If icecast 2.x does this too, then
you could run a local icecast server and get your main server to pull from
you.

Geoff.