[icecast] OT: sample rate and emu10k1

Matt Boersma matt at sprout.org
Wed Jun 11 15:11:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:15:09AM +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Matt Boersma wrote:
> > [SB Live! won't sample at 44100 or 48000, only 32000.]
>
> afaik the sblive family of cards work at 48k and resample everything
> else on-the-fly....
>
> #include "advocacy/why_not_alsa_instead.h"

Agree.  But 1) I like to keep it simple, 2) I'm replacing a system
that worked quite well without ALSA, and 3) I can't see that the
ALSA drivers for the SB Live! family offer me anything additional
for my purposes (basically just capturing Line in and doing live
streaming).

> btw, for questions like these you should try the linux-audio-users list.

Thanks for the pointer.  Just to follow up: I'm using Debian Woody
3.0r1 (stable) with a 2.4.18 kernel.  For other reasons (hyper-
threading awareness), I downloaded the 2.4.20 .deb kernel sources
and rebuilt the kernel.  It's faster, and now I can sample at 44.1kHz
no problem.  I haven't done the diffs to find out if there were
actual changes to the emu10k1 OSS/Free driver, but it certainly
Worked For Me.