[icecast] general questions

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Thu Jun 5 04:10:54 UTC 2003

the adminroot is similar to the webroot.

It is the intent that the webroot contain files (html or XSLT files) that
normal listeners can access...so things like a status page or what's
playing page could be served from there.  So if you enable file serving
(<fileserve>1</fileserve> in the icecast.xml) and you place files in your
webroot, they should be served as a normal web server would serve them..
obviously things like .php or cgi scripts are not supported.  If you happen
to place an xslt file in that dir, then it will be transformed by the
server.  The XML file which it uses for the transformation is icecast2's
internal stat tree. This is the XML that you see if you hit
/admin/stats.xml or /admin/rawstats.  In order to use the XSLT stuff, you
really need to know XSLT, and that is why samples are provided.

now adminroot is like webroot except it serves up exclusively xslt files
with predetermined names.  It is located as a separate directory since most
people don't want their listeners accessing admin pages as well :).  The
look and feel of the admin XSLT pages can be modified easily (if you know
XSLT that is) and sample admin xslt templates are also provided in the
/admin distribution directory.

also, as a side note, in testing that what I was saying was actually true,
I found a bug in the win32 version of icecast which prevented fileserving
from the webroot to function properly....so this will be fixed immediately
and a new exe will be posted at http://www.oddsock.org/tools/icecast2....
note that the bug applied only to the win32 version.

hope it clarifies things a bit..

oddsock