[icecast] Playlist handling

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Mon Jun 2 22:10:10 UTC 2003

On 2 Jun 2003 at 10:15, Andrew Burghardt wrote:

> I have some questions about how the playlist handling works in ices2.
> I'm trying to decide whether I want to use the script option within
> ices or set up a cron job that writes a new playlist.txt every so
> often. I play live recordings and want to minimize any gaps between
> files, so the internal scripting option seems like it would introduce
> even longer gaps than occur with straight playlist usage. I would rip
> the recordings as a long single track, but that would mean I lose
> individual track metadata. Concatenate is not really an option because
> I also have to run a simultaneous mp3 stream via ices0.23 and in my
> testing it seems ices0 will only read the first song in a concatenated
> ogg file.

Maybe you could use libshout to build a small app that suits your
needs? The metadata can be updated while sending audio by simply
calling specific URLs - so you could even do it from a separate
process. Already done such things. If you don't need 1-second-
accuracy of metadata I think this task should easily be solvable
(call your meta-data-update-application in a shellscript at the same
time as you start your stream).
Our how about making a few additions to ices so that you can place a
.cue-file that containts times and titles for each singletrack-
audiofile with the same name? .cue-files are already standard in
audioapplications and also supported by many ripping-apps.

> From experience it looks like ices2 reads in the entire playlist into
> memory and plays that back in it's entirety. At the end it re-reads
> the playlist and starts again. Is this correct? Is this also how ices
> 0.23 works?
>
> Is there a way to force ices2 to re-read the playlist file at any
> given moment without disconnecting clients?

I haven't done it myself but did you try sending a signal (HUP, USR1,
USR2 etc.) to ices2 while playing?

And generally: Are you talking about 0.23(-cvs) or ices2?

 Stefan

PS: Please post your findings to the list!