[icecast] Playlist handling

Andrew Burghardt abob at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 2 17:15:08 UTC 2003

I have some questions about how the playlist handling works in ices2. I'm
trying to decide whether I want to use the script option within ices or set
up a cron job that writes a new playlist.txt every so often. I play live
recordings and want to minimize any gaps between files, so the internal
scripting option seems like it would introduce even longer gaps than occur
with straight playlist usage. I would rip the recordings as a long single
track, but that would mean I lose individual track metadata. Concatenate is
not really an option because I also have to run a simultaneous mp3 stream via
ices0.23 and in my testing it seems ices0 will only read the first song in a
concatenated ogg file.

So my questions are...

> From experience it looks like ices2 reads in the entire playlist into memory
and plays that back in it's entirety. At the end it re-reads the playlist and
starts again. Is this correct? Is this also how ices 0.23 works?

Is there a way to force ices2 to re-read the playlist file at any given moment
without disconnecting clients?

Andrew Burghardt
abob at speakeasy.net