[icecast] Playlist handling

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Jun 2 22:16:56 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Andrew Burghardt wrote:

> Concatenate is
> not really an option because I also have to run a simultaneous mp3 stream via
> ices0.23 and in my testing it seems ices0 will only read the first song in a
> concatenated ogg file.

If this is the case, this is a bug i ices0 - chained ogg files are part of
the ogg spec.  Alternatively, you could run streamtranscoder
<http://www.oddsock.org/tools/streamTranscoder> across your ogg stream and
provide it in MP3.  This would save you the hassle of maintaining 2 lots of
ices.

> So my questions are...
>
> From experience it looks like ices2 reads in the entire playlist into memory
> and plays that back in it's entirety. At the end it re-reads the playlist and
> starts again. Is this correct? Is this also how ices 0.23 works?

Not sure on this one, but it doesn't really matter.

> Is there a way to force ices2 to re-read the playlist file at any given
> moment without disconnecting clients?

If you touch the playlist file, it will be re-read after the currently
playing track.  If you HUP ices (I think it's HUP), it will stop the
current song and move on immediately.

Geoff.