[icecast] OT: OGG in the mainstream

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Tue Jul 15 06:40:05 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:06:03AM +1200, Ross Levis wrote:
> Mark Casey wrote:
> > I think when the real-time cbr encoding issues are sorted
> > Vorbis (this is my experience with oddcast dsp, winamp and
> > icecast 2 win32, big cpu hog) will start gaining more ground,
>
> I can't use the managed bitrate option in OddCast on my K6II-500 CPU!
> (Overclocked to 525, WinXP Pro,192MB RAM).  I would like to.  Normal VBR
> uses about 90% CPU.  This seems too high.  Perhaps some work will be
> done on reducing CPU requirements and/or utilizing some CPU extensions
> in the future.

That's funny, because we're doing it all the time with Pentium 2's
running at 233mhz.

44100 samplerate, mono, 56k VBR.  ices2. pretty basic setup. no skips.

Prehaps it's an issue with your CPU having poor floating point, or
prehaps its OddCast, or prehaps it was compiled without CPU
optimisations, etc.  But we've been doing it for quite some time quite
successfully with ices2.

furthermore, with my K62 450mhz I've successfully done 44100/stereo
encoding at 128k with ices2, it uses about 90% of the cpu but it's
doable.  Dropping to mono makes it much faster, dropping the bitrate
(56k vs 128k) makes it even faster.  Dropping to 22050 samplerate makes
it dramatically faster.

--
Fetch my GPG key from keys.indymedia.org:
   CA88   DDAB   E1FE   0575   85D6

Use GNU Privacy Guard to protect your email, see [http://www.gnupg.org/]

The attachement to this and every email I send is my GPG signature which
is used to verify that I am the sender and it is unmodified by any third
party.  You need GNU Privacy Guard installed to verify my GPG signature.

This was important even before our government's war on civil liberties,
but with the USA PAT RIOT Act signed into law it's especially important
to secure our right to communicate freely without federal surveillance.

If you have GNU Privacy Guard, please use it to encrypt and sign any and
all mail you send me.  I can help you in setting up and using encryption
to protect your email as well as host workshops for teaching your group.