[icecast] OT: OGG in the mainstream

Ross Levis ross.levis at cchlawbase.co.nz
Mon Jul 14 23:06:03 UTC 2003

Mark Casey wrote:
> I think when the real-time cbr encoding issues are sorted
> Vorbis (this is my experience with oddcast dsp, winamp and
> icecast 2 win32, big cpu hog) will start gaining more ground,

I can't use the managed bitrate option in OddCast on my K6II-500 CPU!
(Overclocked to 525, WinXP Pro,192MB RAM).  I would like to.  Normal VBR
uses about 90% CPU.  This seems too high.  Perhaps some work will be
done on reducing CPU requirements and/or utilizing some CPU extensions
in the future.

Ross.