[icecast] ices 0.3 released

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Sun Jul 13 22:01:48 UTC 2003

On 13 Jul 2003 at 17:53, Brendan Cully wrote:

> On Sunday, 13 July 2003 at 23:24, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
[...]
> I think this is a reasonable suggestion. I now remember that my
> original goal when I started working on ices 0.3 was to get one last
> stable, fairly complete version out the door that worked with current
> Xiph software (libshout 2 and icecast 2). That is, I wanted something
> that wasn't deprecated for the users out there who still need to
> stream MP3 (I'm one of them).
>
> Now that I think that's done, I personally like the idea of providing
> MP3 support for ices 2. I have some ideas about how to do it fairly
> cleanly, though I haven't read the ices2 code in any detail.
>
> But, whether this happens depends not just on the code getting
> written, but on whether other Xiph developers are willing to lend any
> more aid and shelter to the proprietary MP3 format and its litigious
> owners. My personal perspective may tend more toward the practical and
> the short term than theirs, but I can certainly understand if they
> don't want to include MP3 support in any new code. If I didn't have
> other people depending on an ices with MP3 support, I might feel the
> same way myself.

Well okay, I can understand their attitude. But it seems more like a
religious thing: "no mp3 is evil, we don't do that". If anybody might
implement streaming of wmv, ra or maybe some other format - whatever -
 will they say "we don't want to do that"? Why not make a good and
flexible product out of it? What "bad sides" do they fear when
implementing an "open" interface so that e.g. Brendan could add mp3-
support? If somebody has problems with lame-support (legal matters)
okay - he just doesn't have to turn the "--with-lame-support"-switch
on when compiling and thats it. I just don't get the point folks.

Well, maybe we should leave the discussion here .. I guess it should
now be the Xiph-people to start a "well okay, let's do it". And if
they don't nobody will doom them for it. But that's not the poing.
Ogg / Vorbis is brilliant, icecast2 and ices 2.x are very brilliant
(I really like those very much). But since some customers really
insist on using mp3 I must advocate Brendan and thank him for the
nice work he has done when finishing ices 0.3. Mp3 will never be
dead. And maybe if we (me included) would vote with all our voice for
Ogg still somebody would cry Mp3. Who cares ... But as long as
there's the possibility to support this format (and I guess there's
not that much chaos in the ices 2.x-code after implementing it) why
not do?

Again some two cents. Good night
 Stefan