[icecast] ices 0.3 released

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Sun Jul 13 21:53:21 UTC 2003

On Sunday, 13 July 2003 at 23:24, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2003 at 14:45, Brendan Cully wrote:
>
> > ices 0.3 outputs MP3, not Vorbis. For Vorbis you will need ices
> > 2. We know this is confusing, so ices 0.x will probably have a new
> > name for the next release. Ideas?
>
> I'm glad to hear that 0.x is still maintained and, as it seems, still
> updates. Well, but why don't you just integrate 2.x and 0.x into each
> other, I mean, use 2.x as a "major brandnew rewrite" of 0.x and
> simply add MP3-support (just an option to link against lame) to 2.x?
> It would be up to every user if he / she wants to live with the legal
> "problems" connected with MP3 or not. But where's the problem? Does
> maintaining two separate tools doing almost the same make that much
> sence?

I'm speaking for myself and not in any way for xiph.org:

I think this is a reasonable suggestion. I now remember that my
original goal when I started working on ices 0.3 was to get one last
stable, fairly complete version out the door that worked with current
Xiph software (libshout 2 and icecast 2). That is, I wanted something
that wasn't deprecated for the users out there who still need to
stream MP3 (I'm one of them).

Now that I think that's done, I personally like the idea of providing
MP3 support for ices 2. I have some ideas about how to do it fairly
cleanly, though I haven't read the ices2 code in any detail.

But, whether this happens depends not just on the code getting
written, but on whether other Xiph developers are willing to lend any
more aid and shelter to the proprietary MP3 format and its litigious
owners. My personal perspective may tend more toward the practical and
the short term than theirs, but I can certainly understand if they
don't want to include MP3 support in any new code. If I didn't have
other people depending on an ices with MP3 support, I might feel the
same way myself.

-b