[icecast] ices 0.3 released

Jürgen A. Erhard jae+icecast at jerhard.org
Mon Jul 14 02:16:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:01:48AM +0200, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2003 at 17:53, Brendan Cully wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, 13 July 2003 at 23:24, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> [...]
> > Now that I think that's done, I personally like the idea of providing
> > MP3 support for ices 2. I have some ideas about how to do it fairly
> > cleanly, though I haven't read the ices2 code in any detail.
> >
> > But, whether this happens depends [...] on whether other Xiph developers
> > are willing to lend any more aid and shelter to the proprietary MP3
> > format and its litigious owners. [...]
>
> Well okay, I can understand their attitude. But it seems more like a
> religious thing: "no mp3 is evil, we don't do that".

Why don't you try, for a moment, to look at it in a purely competitive way:
why should xiph.org build support for their competition into one of
their products?

Would Microsoft do that?  See Java.

To me, this sounds a bit like "If a Free Software developer doesn't want to
support Windows, he's *bad*, but if Microsoft doesn't support Linux, that's
okay."

And, btw, nobody stops anybody from implementing all that you mentioned
(apart from the owners of those formats) in icecast[12].  That's what Free
Software is all about.  It's just that it won't be in the official release
(if xiph.org doesn't okay it, of course).

Bye, J

--
                            Jürgen A. Erhard
                 Invasion!  http://invasion.jerhard.org