[icecast] Newbee questions...

tcheer at gmx.de tcheer at gmx.de
Sun Jan 5 20:52:25 UTC 2003

Mathias Gygax wrote:

>On Son, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:24:45 +0100, tcheer at gmx.de wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>

>hi there,

Hi again...

>>1.
>>I have just installed ices  0.2.3 and icecast 1.3.12 and I am trying to
>>run them.
>>In my etc/icecast.const i have kept the 3 default passwords for the
>>encoder, admin and oper (hackme) and modified my etc/ices.conf as follow:
>>    <!-- Encoder password on the icecast server -->
>>     <Password>hackme</Password>
>>But I have the problem that ices fails to run properly due to a bad
>>password error
>>
>>ices.log:
>>Error during send: Error opening: No such file or directory
>>Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
>>Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
>>Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
>>Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
>>Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
>>Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
>>Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
>>Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
>>Too many stream errors, giving up
>>

>did you compile with -lcrypt?
>
>in this case you need to generate the crypt(3) (DES) hashes and put them
>into icecast.conf, instead of the plaintext password. with ices you can
>use the plaintext password. in icecast.conf, there has to be the hash of
>the password.

Yes I did compile with -lcrypt,

>>2.
>>It is sayed that there is a mkpasswd.c file thatcomes with the sources
>>for generating crypted passwords, it seems to be missing!
>>

>you can also generate a pair with "makepasswd --crypt" or with perl.
>perl -e 'print crypt("hackme", "icecastrules") . "\n";' (this is
>slightly insecure, use a better or more random salt). put the output (13
>chars hash) to the password configurations (e.g. encoder_password)
>in icecast.conf. it should work then.
>
>HTH

OK I did so and pasted the result (icxDriEO6Fgt.) in the icecast.conf
file (and later in both icecast.conf and ices.conf) entries, but the
error remains.... :-(
BTW, when starting icecast I have the following error message:
[05/Jan/2003:21:49:00] ERROR: Bind to udp interface failed, shutting
down udp traffic
what does it mean?

Thank you again for answering and a happy new year....

--
Eric