[icecast] Newbee questions...

Mathias Gygax mg at trash.net
Sun Jan 5 10:34:33 UTC 2003

On Son, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:24:45 +0100, tcheer at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi all,

hi there,

> 1.
> I have just installed ices  0.2.3 and icecast 1.3.12 and I am trying to
> run them.
> In my etc/icecast.const i have kept the 3 default passwords for the
> encoder, admin and oper (hackme) and modified my etc/ices.conf as follow:
>     <!-- Encoder password on the icecast server -->
>      <Password>hackme</Password>
> But I have the problem that ices fails to run properly due to a bad
> password error
>
> ices.log:
> Error during send: Error opening: No such file or directory
> Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
> Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
> Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
> Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
> Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
> Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
> Error during send: Mount failed on http://127.0.0.1:8000/ices, error:
> Could not login on server. Server message: ERROR - Bad Password
> Too many stream errors, giving up

did you compile with -lcrypt?

in this case you need to generate the crypt(3) (DES) hashes and put them
into icecast.conf, instead of the plaintext password. with ices you can
use the plaintext password. in icecast.conf, there has to be the hash of
the password.

> 2.
> It is sayed that there is a mkpasswd.c file thatcomes with the sources
> for generating crypted passwords, it seems to be missing!

you can also generate a pair with "makepasswd --crypt" or with perl.
perl -e 'print crypt("hackme", "icecastrules") . "\n";' (this is
slightly insecure, use a better or more random salt). put the output (13
chars hash) to the password configurations (e.g. encoder_password)
in icecast.conf. it should work then.

HTH

 - turrican