[icecast] Ogg streams on MacOSX

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Fri Aug 8 17:17:17 UTC 2003

This comes from the Indymedia global audio list.  How about setting up a
software page on icecast.org with a list of players that work properly?

Many players on vorbis.com will only play files on a hard drive, not
streaming files, such a list would be very helpful towards promoting Ogg
as a useful streaming format.

----- Forwarded message from nathaniel t <vsea75 at hotmail.com> -----

The whole world doesn't use Linux or Windows.  Some tiny fraction of
computer users use Macs.  I didn't realize until yesterday evening how
difficult and mysterious it is to try to listen to an icecast ogg vorbis
stream on a Macintosh running OS X.

So, just in case anybody out there needs to know, here's one way to do it.

LISTENING TO OGG VORBIS STREAMS ON A MACINTOSH RUNNING OS X:

You'd think iTunes and RealPlayer would play ogg vorbis streams, but they
don't, and a lot of other "solutions" tossed up by Google don't seem to work
either, at least for mere mortals like me.  The only ogg-stream player that
installed on a new macintosh this morning and actually got the job done was
Whamb! 1.2, which you can download from http://www.whamb.com in a pretty
straightforward, user-friendly manner.

To make Whamb! your default player for web links ending in ".m3u" --

- control-click on, for instance, one of the "56K" links on our home page
--http://seattle.indymedia.org/ -- and select Download Link to Disk from the
resulting pop-up menu

- find the downloaded .m3u file, for instance by clicking on the magnifying
glass next to the new entry in the Downloads box on the screen

- control-click on the .m3u file and select "Get Info" from the pop-up menu

- in the new info box, click on the arrow next to "Open with"

- from the newly exposed menu, select Whamb!

- click on the button immediately below, labeled "Use this application to
open all documents like this. [Change All ...]"

- From now on, clicking on links ending in ".mp3.m3u" or ".ogg.m3u" should
open Whamb! and play the streams the links refer to

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Fetch my GPG key from keys.indymedia.org:
   CA88   DDAB   E1FE   0575   85D6

Use GNU Privacy Guard to protect your email, see [http://www.gnupg.org/]

The attachement to this and every email I send is my GPG signature which
is used to verify that I am the sender and it is unmodified by any third
party.  You need GNU Privacy Guard installed to verify my GPG signature.

This was important even before our government's war on civil liberties,
but with the USA PAT RIOT Act signed into law it's especially important
to secure our right to communicate freely without federal surveillance.

If you have GNU Privacy Guard, please use it to encrypt and sign any and
all mail you send me.  I can help you in setting up and using encryption
to protect your email as well as host workshops for teaching your group.