[icecast] cannot get icecast and ices totalk...authenticationfailed

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Apr 16 02:36:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Eric L. Brown wrote:

> > You're not trying to play MP3 files, by any chance?  Ices2 only plays ogg
> > and raw PCM at this time.
>
> ah.
> Ok, so is there any way to play my mp3 files (i.e. convert to ogg
> on-the-fly or something)?

ummm.  Well, not at the moment.  At one stage, Michael did say that this
would be a desirable feature but that he wasn't personally interested in
coding it.  If all your files are 44100Hz stereo, you could possibly do
something with the stdinPCM fascility.  hmmm.

Question though - why do you want to broadcast in ogg if all your files are
in MP3?  I merely ask because you could simply use icecast2 with ices 0.x
(CVS) and stream in MP3, re-encoding to 256KBPS or whatever.

Geoff.