[icecast] cannot get icecast and ices totalk...authenticationfailed

Todd Poston tposton1 at swbell.net
Thu Apr 10 20:08:15 UTC 2003

Eric,

You might run into trouble if you plan on playing the same stream in
more than one room coming from a non-wired (audio cables) source.  When
it's all wired (speaker wire, RCA, digital) there is no (apparent)
latency.  If you are playing the same stream on two different computers,
even in your ethernet wired home network, they won't be totally sync'd
up.  Latency on a wireless network is even more apparent.  Of course
256Kbs is pretty fast and I haven't tried doing it with this speed, so
the clients may stay "together" for longer, but there is no garuantee
they will stay in sync for any amount of time.

Of course, none of this matters if the rooms are far enough apart and
you aren't worried about hearing sound carrying over from one set of
speakers into another area that is playing the same stream.  The echo
delay can get really annoying and unbearable otherwise.

Todd